You are going to create 2 campaigns in Sailthru. One is going to be a split test campaign scheduled for 4 hours before your normal main campaign send time. This email will have Sailthru Zephyr code in it to test the Phrasee subject lines. The second will be the normal (final) campaign to be sent to the main part of your audience. The Phrasee integration will update this final campaign with the wining subject line from the split test. You are also going to create lists for these campaigns to be sent to. There are 2 options for these lists 1. Create one split test list extracted from your main list. The split test is sent to this list and is added as an exclusion list to the main campaign or 2. Create two lists one for the split test campaign and one for the main campaign. The choice is yours and what works for you. If you already use an exclusion list then option 2 may be better suited.
Start in Sailthru creating your lists and campaigns.
Creating your lists.
Lets start by creating your lists. There are two options to create lists for your campaigns. For both options use the help provided at https://getstarted.sailthru.com/audience/managing-lists/split-a-list/
- Creating a list to use for the split test and as an exclusion list in your main campaign.
- Complete the Segment List A instructions entering the percentage suggested by Phrasee’s split test calculator where required. Give the list a name eg <yourmainlist>-SplitTest26062019
- You end up with 2 lists <yourmainlist> and <yourmainlist>-SplitTest26062019
Creating your campaigns
- Create a campaign as normal < yourmaincampaign >, as if you were only going to send one campaign. Enter your normal subject line in the settings. When you are in the Audience tab <yourmainlist> as Your Target Audience and <yourmainlist>-SplitTest26062019 as Your Suppressed Audience.
- Complete the campaign setup up to scheduling and then save and exit (Don’t schedule the campaign)
- Copy the above campaign using the Sailthru campaign copy tool to a new campaign <yourmaincampaign>-splitTest
- Change Your Target Audience the <yourmainlist>-SplitTest26062019.
- Now save and exit this email. (don’t schedule this one either)
Now to Phrasee to schedule your campaigns
Scheduling the split test and main campaigns
- Go back to the Phrasee platform and into the campaign you are working on. In the boxes provided select the campaigns you have created for the split test and main send.
- Select the date and time you want the split test campaign to be sent.
- Select how long after the split test is sent you want the main campaign to be sent.
- Click on the schedule button and wait for confirmation that your campaigns have been scheduled.
What happens after scheduling
Don’t be alarmed the split test campaign subject line will be very long and contain a lot of code and all the subject lines for the test.
- Both of your campaigns will be scheduled in Saitlhru and you will find them in the scheduled folder in the campaigns tab.
- If you want to test your emails this is the time to do so. You can open the scheduled campaign and use the Test send option under the design tab.
- The split test campaign will be sent at the time selected in Phrasee.
- 15 mins before the main campaign is scheduled to be sent Phrasee will check the results of the split test and update the main campaign with the subject line that got the highest open rate from the split test.
- The main campaign will be sent at the scheduled time.
- If for any reason Phrasee cannot retrieve the split test results the main send will be sent with the subject line you entered when creating the campaign.